The T&C Chen Center for Systems Neuroscience seeks proposals to study neural systems underlying perception, cognition, emotion, and behavior, with a preference for proposals that seek to clarify basic principles. Proposals should be focused on the systems level of analysis rather than on more reductive levels.
Up to four awards of $50,000, depending on quality of submissions.
Purpose: The Chen Institute offers seed funding to allow Caltech faculty to develop new directions of neuroscience research, leveraging the Institute's interdisciplinary and collaborative environment.
Proposals must explicitly address the following requirements. Failure to fulfill the requirements will result in an administrative rejection.
Proposal Requirements - All Proposals
The proposal should be 1 – 2 pages (excluding figures and references), 12-point font and MUST address the following questions:
- What do you propose to do?
- How is it innovative and different from "business-as-usual" science in your lab?
- How does it engage other members from the Caltech community?
- What is a successful outcome, and what would it allow you to do that is currently not possible?
- To your knowledge, is anything similar being done by colleagues at other universities?
The following items should be included with your proposal submission:
- Proposal: addressing the questions, and using font size, shown above (2-page limit)
- Simple budget (no page limit): Outline how you propose to use the funds, each with a short (1-2 sentence) justification.
Budget may include:
- personnel (graduate RA, postdoc, SURF or other undergraduate)
- equipment, equipment usage (e.g. fMRI hourly fees)
- reasonable consumable supplies
- travel for dissemination of research findings
Budget may NOT include:
- faculty salary
- Document listing other support: title of grant, amount of money, and brief one sentence description, (no page limit).
- Division Approval Form (DAF): Please note that if you are submitting a proposal with collaboration between labs in different divisions then the DAF must be signed by all Division Chairs.
- Applications are open to Caltech research faculty, tenured faculty, and tenure-track faculty.
- No faculty member may participate in more than one application or receive funding for more than one project in a given grant cycle.
- Collaborative proposals should be with other Caltech laboratories.
- Individual researchers will not receive Chen Institute funding for more than two consecutive years (e.g., a researcher who is supported for years 1 and 2 should not apply in year 3 but can apply again in year 4).
- Email your proposal, budget, list of support, and DAF as a combined pdf file to 2022_Sy.firstname.lastname@example.org
- Name your attached PDF file as follows: Last Name_2022
- Your proposal will be uploaded to Box and you will receive a confirmation email from Box within a few hours of submission. If you do not receive a confirmation email after 24 hours, please contact us directly at Chen.Inst@caltech.edu
- Grants are for 1-year (six-month extensions permitted upon request, with justification). A progress report is required after one year.
- Any research involving human subjects, including human data, or animal vertebrate, including animal data, will require approval from IRB or IACUC before research can be funded.
- There is an IP obligation associated with these grants. For more details about this obligation, please contact Case Cortese, email@example.com in the Office of Technology Transfer and Corporate Partnerships.